Discusses the legal structures and trends affecting local health departments (LHDs) and their abilities to address the challenges they face in the 21st century. Addresses the extent to which LHD consolidations are occurring and the ways in which they are done, the factors that facilitate these consolidations, and the effects they may have on services and finances. Summarizes recent literature on LHD consolidation and closes with thoughts on the state of knowledge on LHD consolidation and areas for future research.
Available online: https://phsharing.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/ConsolidatingLHDsUS.pdf
It is included in the CJS Resource Library under the categories listed below. Select a link to find other resources in that category.
- Consolidation of Services: Focuses on the consolidation of LHDs, which researchers suggest may result in benefits, particularly for communities served by small LHDs.
- Legal Issues: Discusses the legal structures affecting LHDs.
This resource is also linked to the Roadmap. Select a link below to read more about each area.
- Context and History / Phase One: Addresses the extent to which LHD consolidations are occurring, the ways in which they are done, and the factors that facilitate these consolidations.
- Service Implications / Phase Two: Addresses the effects of LHD consolidations on services.
- Legal Issues/ Phase Two: Discusses the legal structures affecting LHDs.