This report provides a collection of Wisconsin-based case studies focused on collaborative and cooperative initiatives among public sector providers. Service areas covered include public health and safety and infrastructure services — including fire, medical, animal control, dispatch, highway service, water, sanitation, etc. The report also include cross-cutting findings about the obstacles to collaboration and lessons for collaborative leadership.
Available online (pdf): http://www.localgovinstitute.org/sites/default/files/CaseStudies1212-Final_0.pdf
It is included in the CJS Resource Library under the categories listed below. Select a link to find other resources in that category.
- Environmental Issues: The report includes examples and case studies of environmental services.
- Fiscal and Service Issues: Fiscal issues are discussed as a reason for cooperative initiatives.
- Governance: Collaborative leadership of public functions is discussed.
- Legal Issues: Cross-cutting challenges are discussed.
- Preparedness / Emergency Response: Examples and case studies of public safety are presented.
- Rural / Small Jurisdictions: Examples and case studies of small jurisdictions are discussed.
- Surveillance / Data Sharing: Data sharing examples are presented.
- Tribal Issues: Tribal examples are discussed.
This resource is also linked to the Roadmap. Select a link below to read more about each area.
- Why? / Phase One: Wisconsin-based case studies focused on collaborative and cooperative initiatives among public sector providers.
- Who? / Phase One: Service areas including public health and safety and infrastructure services (including fire, medical, animal control, dispatch, highway service, water, sanitation, etc.).
- Fiscal and Service Implications / Phase Two: Fiscal issues discussed as reason for cooperative initiatives
- Governance / Phase Two: Collaborative Leadership of Public Functions Discussed
- Logistical Issues / Phase Two: The report includes cross cutting finding about the obstacles to collaboration and lessons for collaborative leadership.
Local Government Institute of Wisconsin. (2012). Local Government Collaboration In Wisconsin: Case Studies. Madison, WI: Local Government Institute of Wisconsin.